Thursday, April 22, 2004

Today I have created my email account with GMail (Google Mail). I just saw that it was offered in exclusive to Blogger users. Which is not bad. I think I will use it as a back up account but will still use my Yahoo!/Hotmail accounts for my very close friends and job-related issues. GMail has a little problem : as part of the free service users agree to have their emails scanned for special words. This will be used later on to send users specifically targeted advertisements. I don't feel like receving more publicity, frankly. So I've created my GMail account and will sparingly use it for this and that. A 1.000 megabyte account should be useful in the future. Another thing I find a bit annoying is all this "all new!!!" system of having labels instead of folders. Really! But you have to create labels just as you create the folders. And you have to label each email just as you move each email to folders. So what's the difference? Wel...now my Inbox will look always FULL of emails. Which is not good to me. I don't like full inboxes. Whereas with the folders, once an email is moved there, you don't see it anymore in the Inbox. Yep. I am this fastidious. I want an empty Inbox as soon as I have dealt with all the new emails. But oh well...it's for free so I cannot complain that much!


I am also using Proxify today,a web-based anonymous proxy service which allows anyone to surf the Web privately and securely. Unlike other proxies, there is no software to install or complicated instructions to follow. Just enter a URL (website address) in the form. Through Proxify, you can use websites but they cannot uniquely identify or track you. Proxify hides your IP address and our encrypted connection prevents monitoring of your network traffic. Which is all very good but it kind of modifies the website you are watching. It doesn't let you enter the website counters (if you can see them, that is!) and, in some cases, doesn't let you see the Comments in blogs. I think that depends on the Comments software. Nothing is perfect. But then...no complaining! It's for free!


Hoy he creado my cuenta de email con GMail (Google Mail). Vi que la ofrecian en exclusiva para los usuarios de Blogger, lo cual esta muy bien. Creo que la usare com una cuenta de back up. Para el resto de mis amigos intimos y trabajo usare mis cuentas en Yahoo y Hotmail. Es que GMail tiene un pequenio inconveniente : como parte del servicio gratuito, el usuario acepta que sus emails sean escaneados por software especializado en la busqueda de determinadas palabras. Esto permitira a GMail enviar anuncios especificos y personalizados a cada usuario. Ya. Pero yo no necesito mas publicidad, gracias. Asi que he creado mi cuenta GMail y la usare a veces. Una cuenta de 1.000 megabytes puede ser util en el futuro. Otro aspecto que no me gusta en especial es la sustitucion de carpetas por etiquetas. Y lo anuncian como un paso adelante, gran innovacion! Vale. Pero al final, tienes que crear etiquetas al igual que creabas carpetas. Y los emails recibidos en la Inbox se quedan en la Inbox, porque no hay carpetas donde meterlos. Y mira, yo es que soy asi, cosas mias, pero a mi me gusta tener una Inbox vacia vacia vacia cuando ya he leido los emails. Pero bueno...para que quejarse? Si es gratis!


Hoy tambien estoy probando la Proxify un servicio de anonimidad para el proxy, que te permite surfear por internet con privacidad. La diferencia con otras proxies es que no hay que descargar ningun software ni seguir instrucciones complicadas. Vas a la pagina web de Proxify.com, entras las URL en la ventanilla, y ya esta. TE lleva directamente a la pagina web sin mostrar tu identidad. Proxify esconde tu IP y no deja que ninguna pagina web pueda averiguar en que paginas web has estado o vas a estar en el futuro. Me parece genial, aunque tiene sus problemillas. La pagina web se ve diferente, no te deja entrar en los contadores de visitas (eso si los ves!) y, en algunos casos, no te deja hacer comentarios en los blogs. Me parece que eso depende del sistema de comentarios. Ya veis. Nada es perfecto. Especialmente si es gratis. Tampoco vale la pena quejarse, cuando no pagas nada en absoluto!


The weather today:
Mostly Cloudy
12C
UV Index: 2 Minimal
Wind: From the West Southwest at 5 mph
Dew Point: 8C
Humidity: 77%
Visibility: 6 miles
Barometer: 1,016.9 mb

No comments: