Friday, August 06, 2004

I think if there is something that makes our inner child terribly sad is seeing an old abandoned and closed theme park. I would not cry if my old school were to be demolished (oh no! on the contrary, I would cheer and arrange for a display of fireworks!) but seeing one of this old-fashioned theme parks, paint peeling on the rides, pavement cracking and weeds growing on it, empty of children and about to close, makes me feel very very sad. So with mixed feelings I have enjoyed this website: Florida's Lost Tourist Attractions . Because I feel curious to know about those lost pre-Disney theme parks (attraction parks, we used to call them!) and although I never rode in those rides or saw the alligators when I was a child, I still feel a bit of sadness when reading of their sad endings.

Creo que si hay algo que entristece a ese ninio que todos escondemos dentro es ver un parque de atracciones cerrado y abandonado. No lloraria en absoluto si mi antiguo colegio fuera demolido (que vaaa! por el contrario, organizaria una fiesta con fuegos artificiales! todos/as invitados!) pero, en cambio, ver uno de esos parques de atracciones pasados de moda, con las atracciones de pintura pelada y deslucida, grietas en el pavimento de los caminitos y malas hierbas en las esquinas, vacio, sin ninios y sin gritos de alegria, a punto de cerrar... ah eso si que me encoge el corazon. Asi que con una mezcla extrania de sentimientos, he disfrutado de esta pagina web : Florida's Lost Tourist Attractions (las atracciones turisticas perdidas de Florida, en ingles). Porque, por una parte, sentia curiosidad por leer sobre esos parques tematicos (de atracciones, los llamabamos entonces) de la era pre-Disney. Y por otro lado, aunque nunca subi en ninguna de esas atracciones ni vi ningun alligator de Florida en mi niniez, aun asi siento una gran tristeza cuando leo sobre los tristes finales de estos parques de atracciones.


The weather today:
Mostly Cloudy
19C
UV Index: 2 Low
Wind: From the West Southwest at 15 mph
Dew Point: 16C
Humidity: 81%
Visibility: Unlimited
Barometer: 1,014.6 mb

No comments: