Wednesday, December 15, 2004

I saw a mouse in our house yesterday night. Our tv was on and we were having a conversation when suddenly I turned my head and saw a mouse happily walking down the corridor as if it was going to open the main door and leave the house.
I shouted 'A rat! A rat in the house!'. I am still amazed at the capacity of understanding of these little animals. The little mouse turned its head to me, screamed back : 'I am a mouse, not a rat!' and ran away to the kitchen. We chased it and moved things in the kitchen. We thought it may come out and then we would hit it with the broom. But no luck. The mouse disappeared. We suspect it may have entered the kitchen through a crack on the wall behind the washing machine. We have now put a heavy piece of wood on top of the crack. And also rat poison nearby. But it's not a nice feeling knowing a mouse has been walking on your carpet and maybe looking for food in the kitchen.

PS: OK, you are right. I knew I could not fool you. The mouse did not screamed 'I am a mouse, not a rat!'. But I think he looked very offended by my saying he was a rat. He seemed really annoyed. Really.


Ayer noche vi a un raton en casa. Teniamos la television en marcha y estabamos hablando cuando, de pronto, gire la vista y vi a un raton andando alegremente por el pasillo, como si se dirigiese a la puerta para salir de casa. Grite : 'Una rata! Una rata en casa!'. Y que impresion me dio la capacidad de entendimiento del animalito. Se paro, me miro y grito a su vez : 'No soy una rata, soy un raton!' y se largo corriendo hacia la cocina. Lo perseguimos y movimos muebles de la cocina, para ver si salia corriendo y le podiamos dar un buen escobazo. Pero nada. El raton desaparecio. Sospechamos que podria haber entrado a la cocina a traves de una grieta que hay detras de la lavadora. Asi que hemos colocado una pesada tabla de madera encima de la grieta y hemos distribuido mata-ratas en la cocina. Pero como comprendereis, no hace ninguna gracia saber que un raton ha estado andando en tu moqueta o buscando comida en tu cocina.

PS: OK, teneis razon. Ya sabia que no os podria enganiar tan facilmente. El raton no grito nada de 'No soy una rata, soy un raton!" Pero os aseguro que parecia muy indignado y ofendido de que le hubiera confundido con una rata. De verdad.


The weather today:
Mostly Cloudy
11C
UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: From the Southwest at 9 mph
Dew Point: 9C
Humidity: 88%
Visibility: 6 miles
Barometer: 1,017.3 mb

No comments: