Tuesday, April 12, 2005

I am normally quite happy to use Google and allow them to install their cookie on my computer. I had never carefully thought about the implications. I did today. What may happen to all this tracking in the future, say if the US government (where Google is based as a company) were to ask Google to surrender their database for 'national security purposes', for instance ? Google knows a lot of what we do every day. Through our browsing it is possible to create a profile of each of us. What if this were to fall in the wrong hands? Today I read a detailed and very rational explanation of all this in iMilly . The same website offers readers the possibility of becoming anonymous to Google by using the GoogleAnon system. I have installed it. Just in case... I had forgotten that Firefox users can in fact stop cookies from installing themselves in our system....by using the Tools>Options>Privacy>Cookies!. A detailed explanation on how to do it step by step can be found here : Everything is under control . A very similar procedure can be used with Explorer, by the way. I know. I have not invented anything new. It is just that I tend to forget all the things we can do and control and still I forget them...


Normalmente no me quita el suenio que Google instale cookies en mi ordenador. Nunca me habia parado a pensar este tema con detenimiento y considerar lo que implica. Hasta hoy. Que pasaria con toda la informacion que Google almacena sobre nosotros si, por ejemplo, el gobierno de los Estados Unidos (en cuyo territorio Google esta registrado legalmente como empresa)exigiera a Google que les facilite su base de datos debido a 'razones de seguridad nacional'? Google sabe mucho de nosotr@s, lo que hacemos cada dia. Cada busqueda que realizamos en Google es un dato mas para conocernos mejor y mas a fondo. Que pasaria si toda esta informacion cayera en 'malas' manos? Hoy lei una explicacion detallada y racional sobre este tema en
iMilly (en ingles). En la misma web ofrecen a los lectores la posibilidad de aparecer anonimos en Google usando el sistema GoogleAnon. Lo instale (era solo arrastrar y dejar en la barra del menu). Por si las moscas... Mas tarde me di cuenta de que se me habia olvidado que podemos controlar los cookies que se instalan en nuestros ordenadores usando el menu de Herramientas>Opciones>Privacidad>Cookies. Una explicacion detallada de como hacerlo, con fotos y todo, para Firefox, se encuentra aqui : Everything is under control (en ingles). Por cierto que para Explorer, se trata de un procedimiento muy similar. Ya, ya se. Que no he inventado la sopa de ajo. Ya. Es que me ha sorprendido el darme cuenta de que se me habia olvidado algo tan esencial. Que cosas...



The weather today:

Mostly Cloudy
14C
UV Index: 1 Low
Wind: From the Southwest at 12 mph
Dew Point:9C
Humidity:72%
Visibility: 6 miles
Barometer:1,019.0 mb

No comments: